Concrete floors are an increasingly popular option for homes and businesses, regardless of size. They are durable, relatively easy to maintain, and, when properly finished, can be as beautiful as they are practical. There are two main options for finishing concrete floors: polished concrete or epoxy coatings. Which is the best option for you? Let’s dive in a little deeper to help you decide.
Low Maintenance, Polished Concrete Floors Are Durable & Affordable
Polished concrete has a natural, matte finish achieved through different levels of grinding and polishing. This type of flooring is low-maintenance and easy to clean. It’s also highly durable and resistant to staining and scratching. Here are five questions to ask when considering polished concrete.
- How much foot traffic will your floors see? Polished concrete may be a good option if you have a high-traffic area in your home or business. It’s very durable and can withstand a lot of wear and tear.
- Do you have allergies or sensitivities to dust? Polished concrete is easy to clean and doesn’t collect dust like other types of flooring. Hence, they are an ideal option for people with allergies or sensitivities to dust.
- Are you looking for a low-maintenance option? Polished concrete floors don’t require much maintenance. You can simply sweep or vacuum them regularly to keep them clean. If they start to look dull, you can quickly restore their shine with a polishing kit.
- Do you want to give your space a modern look? Polished concrete can give any room a modern and stylish look. If you’re looking for a flooring option that will make your home or business stand out, polished concrete could be the right choice.
- Are you on a tight budget? Polished concrete is quite affordable. It’s also long-lasting, so you won’t have to replace it as often as you would many other types of flooring.
In What Commercial Settings Does Polished Concrete Make Sense?
Just about any business can benefit from polished concrete flooring. Here are a few examples.
- Retail Stores. A glossy, high-shining finish is perfect for creating an inviting shopping environment. Being hard-wearing and easy to clean, it works well even in high-traffic retail spaces.
- Office Buildings. Concrete can give your workplace a modern, professional look. It’s also durable and low-maintenance, ideal for busy office environments.
- Restaurants. A polished concrete floor can add a stylish touch to any restaurant, from casual eateries to upscale dining establishments. Plus, it’s easy to clean, which is vital in any food-service setting.
- Automotive Dealerships. This type of flooring is the perfect backdrop for showcasing vehicles. It’s also durable enough to withstand the constant traffic of cars being driven in and out of the showroom.
- Grocery Stores. Like retail stores, grocery stores need floors that are easy to keep clean. Concrete fits the bill perfectly and can also resist those inevitable stains and spills.
- Warehouses. Polished concrete is ideal for warehouses because it’s durable and easy to maintain. It can also resist heavy impact.
Versatile, Glossy Epoxy
Epoxy coatings provide a glossy, shiny finish. They’re often used in industrial settings for practical reasons and in homes and businesses for decorative purposes. Some epoxy coatings can be vulnerable to scratches and wear over time but can be easily touched up. There are many benefits to epoxy coating, making it a popular choice for commercial and industrial settings.
- Durability. Epoxy is very durable, meaning it can withstand heavy traffic and repeated cleaning.
- Slip Resistant. It provides a slip-resistant surface, making it safer for employees and customers alike.
- Chemical Resistant. Epoxy flooring is resistant to most chemicals, making it ideal for settings where spills might occur, such as factories and laboratories.
- Easy To Clean. Its smooth surface is easy to clean and maintain, and it doesn’t require waxing or polishing.
- Aesthetically Pleasing. Epoxy finishes come in a nearly endless array of colors, finishes, and optional additives, allowing you to create a stunning look tailored to your home or business.
- Affordable. When compared to many types of flooring, epoxy is relatively cost-effective.
Commercial Applications For Epoxy Floor Coatings
If you’re looking for a durable, easy-to-maintain flooring solution for your small or large business, epoxy may be ideal. Here are some of the most common places you’ll find epoxy floors.
- Commercial kitchens. This type of floor coating can withstand high temperatures and spills, making it ideal for commercial kitchens.
- Hospitals. Epoxy floors are easy to clean and disinfect, making them ideal for hospitals and other healthcare facilities.
- Industrial facilities. Epoxy is engineered to withstand heavy traffic and equipment, so it’s ideal for factories and other industrial settings.
- Hospitals. This type of flooring is easy to clean and sterilize, which is essential in a hospital or other healthcare setting.
- Warehouses. Epoxy flooring can withstand heavy machinery and large amounts of foot traffic.
- Retail & Grocery Stores. The easy-to-clean nature and spill and slip resistance make it ideal for this setting.
Northern California Concrete Flooring Solutions
So, which is best for you, polished concrete or epoxy? We hope you found the above information helpful. Call or visit Coatings Hub Norcal today if you have more questions or want to browse our large selection of floor coating products suitable for residential and commercial use. We have storefronts in San Jose and Jamestown with staff that are eager to help you.